You might say I have the opposite end of the spectrum. It's considered
"cool" to hang out in the library.  So, I get the full range of behaviors
from those who are there to do work and those who are there to read
newspapers, magazines, and get caught up on the gossip...(and this is a
boys' school)...the library fills up quickly from its opening at 8 am and
stays that way with a few exceptions all day until after school.  It's
funny, the after school crowd is usually a mirror of the before school
crowd.  So, with the help of proctors (teachers who are assigned to help
supervise during the day) we attempt to provide an atmosphere conducive to
ongoing study and research...sometimes we succeed and sometimes, well...you
know how it goes.  I still prefer the above arrangement to library passes,
hall passes, and that type of control.  It has a trade off with some
vandalism that goes on as well as theft of materials, but as long as I have
no consistent help on the professional end dealing with reference questions,
we do the best we can.  I love the idea of cybernauts.  There is a growing
trend to want to volunteer in the library, also due to the carrot of 150
hours of service equals a library letter on a sweater.  Hey, if it works.
--
Sr.Mary Veronica,CHS       "All that is required for
Xavier High School,NYC      the triumph of evil is for

LM_NET Archive Home