Dear LM_NET-
         I am a graduate student in Educational Technology at the
University of Kansas, and am conducting research on a Master's Thesis which
will attempt to determine whether or not use of Internet
Activities/Projects in K-12 classrooms can help provide for some of the
affective needs of students.  I am targeting "characteristics" which may
cause students to be at-risk of school failure.  While there are generally
accepted characteristics which may cause students to be at-risk, it is the
intention of this study to have research participants use their personal
experiences to define an at-risk student.
        This will be a national (Global?) survey to determine how Internet
usage can provide for some of the affective needs of students.  I am
seeking interested K-12 teachers, administrators, and school staff who
would like to contribute their personal experience of using the Internet or
related networks with students.  If you would like to participate, it would
be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to forward or redistribute this
introduction to as many interested persons as you wish.  This is an initial
contact to determine the level of interest and support for this type of
research.
        A secondary goal of the project is to amass a database of K-12
teachers, administrators, and staff who make use of the Internet in
schools.  Upon the project's conclusion, participants in the research may
be forwarded the full Contact Database List as well as the project's
results.  Hopefully, this will foster an increased degree of collaboration
and peer support.
         In this age of electronic communication, efficient and valuable
research can be conducted at a rate unmatched by past technologies- I hope
that you would embrace this and other opportunities to support the
advancement of the Educational Knowledge Base.  Thank you for your time and
support.

If interested, simply send a message indicating your interest

                to:  nels@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
           subject:  At-Risk Internet Survey

 If you have questions or comments please send them to the above address.

Sincerely,
Shawn Nelson
University of Kansas
nels@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu