I've been following the discusion with great interest, and as several
people have pointed out, I think that it is important to keep in mind that
everyone's job has changed in that the way they do it, and what they do it
with,  has changed.  In many schools now the library is becoming known as
the Learning Resources Centre, and the resources are no longer being used
as well as, but instead of, traditional textbooks, and our role is going to
become more important as teachers come to rely on our expertise in
selection of relevant resources for student learning, and our knowledge of
technology to integrate other formats with print.  Below is a document
developed by our local teacher librarians' association which may be of
interest to people working on job descriptions.  Some of us now use as it
as the format for our regular reports to administrators and staff.
1. Co-operative Planning and Teaching
1.1     Plan with classroom teachers to integrate information skills and
multi-media into curriculum units.
1.2     Co-operatively teach and evaluate selected units with classroom
teachers.
2. Teacher and Curriculum Support
2.1     Locate resources to support classroom teachers' instructional needs
2.2     Support the classroom teacher in the development, presentation,
enrichment  and enhancement of curriculum and skills    development.
3.Information and Research Skills
3.1     Develop, with staff, a skills continuum.
3.2     Teach students to locate, organize, analyze, and present
information using a variety of media.
4. Reading Promotion
4.1     Encourage students to read for pleasure, as well as for information.
4.2     Provide an inviting environment for reading and/or studying.
5. Professional Development
5.1     Keep informed and up-to-date on the most recent technological and
instructional resources.
5.2     Develop and maintain  technological and instructional skills.
6. Leadership
6.1     Provide leadership in the implementation of curriculum integration
and co-operatively planned programs
        6.2     Participate as an active member of school and staff
committees to develop and implement school goals.
 7. Advocacy and Staff Relations
7.1     Demonstrate the essential necessity of the library-resource centre
program.
7.2     Advocate co-operative plannning, curriculum integration and
resource-based learning to administrators, teachers, students, parents and
the community.
8. Facility Management
8.1     Plan and organize efficient use of space, time and resources.
8.2     Maintain and supervise a safe, orderly environment conducive to
learning.
9. Resource Management
9.1     Build and maintain a quality collection of materials to support and
enrich curricula and programs.
9.2     Make effective use of monetary resources.
9.3     Make effective use of human resources: staff, students, and/or
volunteers.
10. Networking
10.1    Network with other schools to share ideas and resources.
10.2    Network with the community, other educational institutions, and
government  institutions.

Developed and adopted by the PRSTLA January 12, 1994

Anne Symons, Resource Centre Librarian
District Resource Centre, S.D.#59 (Peace River South)
ph 604-782-6336   fax 604-782-1470

LM_NET Archive Home