    WINDOWS has a command to "rebuild" the desktop should it become
    damaged.

    From the File menu in Program Manager select Run and type "Setup/p" as
    the command.  You will get back all the original program groups and
    icons.

    I don't know about password protection, but it is simple to edit the
    Progman.Ini file to include a Restrictions section and establish
    various access limits for users.  These can range from limited to read
    only.  And you can remove access to File Manager, etc.

    Admittedly, there are ways for a knowledgeable hacker to circumvent the
    restrictions, but that is always so.  The solution works for the casual
    vandal and the idly curious.  If you're interested, let me know, and
    I'll send you the command syntax directly.

    Regards

    Bill Ward, UTK Library

LM_NET Archive Home