Paula,
     You have received a lot of good information about decoders and the
new TV's with built-in captioning capabilities, so I think you have a
good start on your request.
     But, I was wondering if you would be able to use another service
that we use here at the Tennessee School for the Deaf.  We borrow (free
of charge) videotapes and films from Modern Talking Pictures Service.
The basic requirement needed to be able to use this service is that there
must be at least one deaf OR hard-of-hearing person viewing the video.
If you happen to have a hard of hearing person in the ESL class you could
apply to use this service.  (I think this organization, it is a federal
program, is a great asset for providing educational and entertainment
video that are OPEN-captioned....this means that you do not need a
decoder in order to see the captions.  If you could meet the basic
requirement, then, this would be another way to provide the captions for
these ESL students.
They have hundreds (perhaps thousands!) of videos and films.
Captioned Films/Videos
Modern Talking Picture Service, Inc.
5000 Park Street North
St. Petersburg, FL  33709
1-800-237-6213   Voice/TDD

Hope this helps--
                  Martha Emrey, Librarian
                  Tennessee School for the Deaf
                  memrey@keclink.utk.fred.org

<memrey@keclink.utk.fred.org> ------------------ 35.57.39W, 83.55.07N
Martha Emrey
Teacher K-12 at TN School for the Deaf,  same             Knoxville, TN

LM_NET Archive Home