Lorna,
  I don't know that your server will be the "slow" spot with the
CD-ROMs.  Our experience seems to indicate that the slowness is related
to the drives themselves.  I would get the fastest drives you can.  We
are currently running our entire HS network on a 386DX/40.  We run
Follett Circ/Cat, all of our subject area software, and have a 4 stack
tower CD with Hitachi drives.  We have 45 computers connected to the
network using a combination of thin coax and 10BaseT.  We are pretty
satisfied with the setup, although we get a network slowdown from about
12 noon until 2 PM almost every day.  We are seriously considering
putting the CD drives on a dedicated server.  We think this will help
with the slowdown.

Hope this helps!

David Hollingshead
Gideon #37 School District