Hi, y'all:

Well, here are the various messages that I got concerning
networking my 386's on Ethernet with Novell and Follett together
with CD-Rom drives.  I think that we still will do it, but I will
keep certain programs on stand-alone systems.  I was supposed to
go visit a school nearby this week where they have eodn extensive
networking (Elementary, too!), but I got strep throat.  Will have
to go after spring break!  Hope some of this helps you in your
technology plans!  PS Sorry for the length--I couldn't really
shorten all the tech stuff!

Lorna McCloud       Teacher-Librarian
King Elementary     Woodbridge, VA
lmccloud@tjhsst.vak12ed.edu

>1.   I'm not a techie but we have either installed or are in the
process of installing networks in 6 schools.  Our basic
configuration involves a Token ring network connecting a file
server, CD-Server, a CD tower, and 5 - 17 workstations.  We are
using Novell 3.1 and CBIS software -- the latter for the CD
server.  We are fortunate enough to have 486 machines since we
are new to this game.  We are running numerous products
beautifully -- Infofinder, various types of Ebsco periodical
indices, Granger's, etc.  Mammals, etc., do not network well
becuase they are "multimedia", and, as yet, video will not run
across a network unless it is fiber optics.  Even the audio is a
problem unless you have workstations capable of transmitting
such.  The networked version of Grolier's, for example, has
audio/video disabled.  Hope this helps.  It is EXTREMEMLY
frustrating to have new installs which are "antiquated" before we
boot them up for the first time.  Oops, I forgot --- we, too, are
running Follett software --- Unison in the new installations.

Julie A. Walker                    District Media Services
Director, Library & Media Services 13401 Pond Springs Rd.
Round Rock ISD                     Austin, TX  78729
jawalker@tenet.edu            512-331-6697/512-331-1811 FAX

>2.  You will need all the power and memory you can get.  The
problem lies in the fact that once you load DOS, Novell, and your
CD-Rom drivers, (Microsoft extensions or the equivalent), you
don't have enough memoryu left to run the program!  Budget for a
memory manager like QEMM (preferred) to help you with the memory
hassles.

You will hear that the new Novell supports CD's.  Don't be too
optimistic.  It does provide limited CD support, but that is
because the new Novell =comes= on CD!  Novell 3.12 or 4.01 does
NOT support CD networking.  You will need an outside source
solution such as SCSI express, Meridian Data's CD-NET, or Optinet
(listed in order of preference as expressed by the members of the
list CDROMLAN).

Consider the speed of your network in general, and the speed of
your CD-Rom drives.  The CD's will probably run slow.

We have Grolier's networked DISTRICT-WIDE (as are all our CDs)
and it does just fine.  Keep in mind that you won't be able to
retrieve any sound images if you network the CD's.  Video will
also be too slow to be useable, so don't go for the multimedia CD's.  We
successfully network Books in Print plus, Children's
Reference Plus, Time Compact Almanac, SIRS, Front Page News,
UMI's Resource One, Reader's Guide....

Carol Mann Simpson                 csimpson@tenet.edu
Facilitator - Library Technology   214-882-7450
Mesquite (TX) Independent School District

3.>  We've got Optinet running on a Novell network with circ/cat
plus with a 486 file server for the CD-Rom server and the network
server... If you have not already purchased CD-Rom drives, make
sure they meet the ASPI standard, and are SCSI models.

Sandy Parks
Harrisonburg HS
Harrisonburg, VA
sparks@vdoe386.vak12ed.edu

4.> We have a new middle school which opened this year.  We also
have Follett and Ethernet and Novell.  Generally speaking, if you
want to have graphics, like mammals running, or sound, like
mammals roaring, you will need to have a stand-alone unit.  The
network ones which work well are things like EBSCO magazine
article summary, etc., which do not require sound or graphics.

Virjean Griensewic
Dakota Meadows Middle School
Mankato, MN  56001

LM_NET Archive Home