Am I still doing inventory?  Yes.  Why? I am responsible for this large
collection of our school's resources.  I need to know what we have, and
what is missing, and attempt to account for what is missing.

More to the point, one of my major roles as librarian is to provide
access to these resources.  If the catalog (OPAC or card) is cluttered up
with items we no longer have, those looking for information will
frequently reach dead ends, and will conclude that using the library is a
waste.  Inventory also gives me a chance to informally assess the
collection, refreshing my mind  as to what we have and what areas need
work.  With automation, the time this task takes is minimal.  I don't
even have a portable scanner, but I put my computer on a cart and roll it
down the shelves.

Sister Penny Cunningham  pscunnin@mailbox,syr.edu
St. Mary-Basha Catholic School
Chandler, Arizona