In message <199411072041.OAA19953@boombox.micro.umn.edu> "Marianne Haase,
Librarian" writes:
> From: david.riggins@tpoint.com
> Subject: MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENT
> Sender: gopherjewels@einet.net
>

>     NEW LISTSERV/  FOCUS:  GOVERNMENT ACTIVTY
> Why the White House has established a World Wide Web service and no
> gopher.  This sends a signal to all government agencies that it is OK to
> drop gopher services and move to a Web only delivery system.

Sometimes you have to plunge ahead into future technology and not carry
along the baggage of backwards compatibility.  Given that Gopher traffic
is beginning to show a decline and WWW traffic is posting triple digit
increases, this is might be a wise investment of limited resources
and a sign of rational forethought.  A quick evaluation of the
possibilities of each technology ought to make the reason for
this decision even more evident.

> Why is the U.S. Postal System claiming they have autority to manage
> government information?  Are they using postal fees to cover the cost of
> piloting kiosks?

If you've followed any of the recent discussion, you might note that
this plan is not as evil as it was first presented on the Internet.
It appears to be nothing more than the fact that the Post Office was
the first group to step to the fore with funding to implement
Internet access.  Plans appear to be in the works for additional
library, school, and community access.

> The service would simply post these issues for subscribers to do with as
> they wish.  There would be no opportunity for debate...I don't have the
> time to manage that process.  I also believ that many of us want to read
> about the issues, but don't care to have a mail box full of posts
> debating the subject.

I think such a mass mailing of half-truths and accusations has the
potential to do great harm to what, on closer examination, appears
to be a noble effort.

>   Why is there no gopher.whitehouse.gov?
>
>   ask....                      President@WhiteHouse.GOV
>                           Vice.President@WhiteHouse.GOV
>                                GILL_J@a1.eop.gov

How about if we all send these folks some praise for their work to
bring Internet into government and to make government information
available over the Internet.  Two years ago, you wouldn't have
been able to find a soul in the White House who knew what the
term "Internet" meant.  The present administration has brought
government out of the dark ages of technology.

If nothing else, you ought to at least appreciate that you CAN
send an e-mail message to these folks.  They deserve great praise
for these efforts, not the counter-productive complaints that
you suggest.

Stephen E. Collins   <URL:http://www.micro.umn.edu/staff/sec>
University of Minnesota             sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu
Distributed Computing Services   (612) 625-1300 Fax: 625-6817

            Remember to give back to the net.

Stephen E. Collins   <URL:http://www.micro.umn.edu/staff/sec>
University of Minnesota             sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu
Distributed Computing Services   (612) 625-1300 Fax: 625-6817

            Remember to give back to the net.

LM_NET Archive Home