Though I am not sure how healthy this discussion is, I am drawn to the
argument from my own side of the fence.  With a total of 15 years of
experience behind me in special and public librarianship, I threw myself
into the school arena.  The teaching skills I picked up on the job, many
I brought with me "genetically."  The broader perspective into technology
and reference materials that I brought with me proved invaluable, though
at many times frustrating.  I HAD been teaching all along, one-on-one,
all ages, in a nonthreatening, laboratory sort of way.  This style served
me very well in my school transition.  What was frustrating was watching
the approach of many of my colleagues who taught skills out of context
and taught the "heck" out of a story before it could be reacted to
affectively!

The major difference in the switch was realizing how muchfreedom I lost
in terms of going to the rest room when I needed to, and leaving the
building for public relations trips.  Budgets were an adjustment!  Book
selection was a greater challenge.  I soon discovered I was not meant to
be an elementary librarian and found my niche in High School--with the
freedom to continue to fundraise, buy more extensive reference, treat
learning in a lab situation and tell an occasional story!

I resent the attitudes of those of us who believe that coming at this
field from a "teaching" point of view is the BETTER way.

Respectfully (to my friends from both camps)

Joyce Valenza
<jvalenza@mciunix>
Wissahickon High School Library
521 Houston Road