If I could speak from the other side of the fence:

As a LS student, I took the *same* course work on instructional design,
exceptional children, child psych, behaviour, as the classroom teachers.
My student teaching was in the library. I consulted with classroom
teachers, designed integrated units, planned presentations, and was in
control of classrooms perhaps 1/2 to 1/3 of the time a student teacher in
the classroom had.  I worked in every grade level! and I learned about
the Day to day operation of the Media center, including cataloging,
scheduling classes and equipment, behaviour in the library during lunch
(1k student enrollment).

I felt that I was better trained to run a library MC, both in terms of
theory and purpose as well as the reality of *all* aspects of operation.
I was a member of study groups  for equipment purchase, consulted on book
choices for LA classes by experienced teachers, and involved in a book
challenge.  And as I previously mentioned, I worked with kids of all
grade levels.

Not trying to be snobby, but in closing I would like to mention that my
principal nominated me for state librarian of the year in my first year
teaching.

Thanks,

Bob

LM_NET Archive Home