>Date:          Thu, 3 Nov 1994 20:57:40 -0500
>From:          "Sandra P. Phillips" <sppp@STRAUSS.UDEL.EDU>
>Subject:       JFK
>To:            Multiple recipients of list LM_NET
><LM_NET@SUVM.SYR.EDU>
>
>Hello everyone,  One of our 8th grade social studies teachers is
>planning a discussion next week about the assassination of John
>Kennedy.  As part of his unit, he has asked his students to ask
>their grandparents, older friends, or teachers what they remember
>about the day JFK died. (Their parents too, if they were old enough
>at that time to remember!) He would appreciate hearing from any of
>you or anyone in your school who remembers where they were on that
>day, what they were doing, etc.  Your messages will be shared with
>all our students in a special JFK display.  Thanks for your help.
>sppp@strauss.udel.edu
>
> Sandra Phillips, Librarian Dover Air Force Base Middle School
>Hawthorne Drive Dover, DE 19901
I will never forget that day.  I was in college, in an economics
classroom.  Our instructor had a weird sense of humor, and when he
arrived late for the beginning of the class and said that the
President had been shot, many of us assumed he was making a sick
joke to cover his tardiness. We refused to believe it. The rest of
the afternoon we lingered outside on the campus next to cars with
their radios on and listened to reports.  Most people were reluctant
to leave the school. (It was a city college and all students lived
at home and commuted.)  We needed to stay together.  I was supposed
to meet my father to shop for a stereo, but we canceled it.    It
took a long time for many of us to accept the reality.  We were all
glued to our televisions for the remainder of the long weekend,
watching the funeral coverage and everything.

Hope this was helpful.
Regards,
.
.