I was in my 7th grade English class at Warner Intermediate School in
Westminster, Ca. The PA system came on and we could hear a radio in the
background. Then the principal announced that the President had been shot
in Dallas. There was a long pause. We could still here the radio in the
background. The announcer was talking  about Parkland hospital. We
couldn't hear very well. Everyone was very quiet. Then the PA system was
turned off. A little bit later, The principal came back on and announced
that President Kennedy had died. It was still really quiet in the room.
I remember feeling very angry because his children were so little.
Later, I worked as a teenaged volunteer for Bobby Kennedy. I was watching
his victory speech on t.v when he was shot.When these two men died, I think
my hopes for a better world died with them or maybe just my innocence.
Then MarTin Luther King Jr. was shot and that was the end of my
childhood and adolescence. I became an adult who knew that if the world
was going to change, it was up to all of us...not just our leaders...
I guess that's what they left me...the knowledge that we have to fight
for our rights everyday and we have to know that we aren't separate
entities. We are the human race and we're all we've got. We have to learn
to help each other and love each other and to m
make life the best we can for each other. That's all we have..each other.

                                                Rhonda Jackson
                                                Sunset High School
                                                El Paso, Tx.pp

LM_NET Archive Home