Hello Students,
        I remember well where I was and what I was doing when John
Kennedy was assassinated.  When I was two I contracted polio during one
of the last European epidemics--three years before the polio vaccine was
developed (my father was an American Army officer stationed in Austria).
During 7th, 8th, and 9th grades, I had surgery on my legs five times.  On
November 22, 1963, I was in ninth grade (Annandale H.S., Annandale, Va.)
and on crutches because of my most recent surgery.  Each of my teachers
let me leave class early so I could get to my next class before the halls
filled with students.  While I was on the way to my 6th period Algebra
class, the principal came on the intercom and announced that the president
had been shot.  About twenty minutes later he came on again and
announced that the president was dead.  I remember that some of the girls
in my Algebra class began to cry.  The teacher got mad and scolded them.
        I believe that in a way, America was assassinated on that day.  I
don't think this country has ever been the same.  Our innocence died along
with the president.  I know this will be an interesting unit for y'all to
study.  Learn all you can!!

--
Anne Lawton, Media Coordinator
West Carteret High School/Morehead City, NC  28557

LM_NET Archive Home