My husband and I were in Chitose, Japan at the time.  We heard about the
assassination as we were getting up.  There was real tension on the base as
rumors of Russian involvement circulated.  Chitose is on the northern
island of Hokkaido, not too distant from the former USSR eastern borders.
Security forces were put on extended shifts, etc.

The Japanese people were devastated by the assassination.  JFK was a real
hero to them.  People would come up to us on the street and recognizing
us as Americans say, "We are so sorry."

I personally felt that I lost a bit of the common American history by being
out the country during that time period.  The images that were burned so
deeply everyone's minds, I saw much later.  We didn't have an American TV
station overthere and only so news photos and some pictures on Japanese
TV.

LM_NET Archive Home