>Hello everyone,  One of our 8th grade social studies teachers is planning
>a discussion next week about the assassination of John Kennedy.  As part
>of his unit, he has asked his students to ask their grandparents, older
>friends, or teachers what they remember about the day JFK died. (Their
>parents too, if they were old enough at that time to remember!) He would
>appreciate hearing from any of you or anyone in your school who remembers
>where they were on that day, what they were doing, etc.  Your messages
>will be shared with all our students in a special JFK display.  Thanks
>for your help.  sppp@strauss.udel.edu
>
>Sandra Phillips, Librarian
>Dover Air Force Base Middle School
>Hawthorne Drive
>Dover, DE 19901

Hi:
Is is remarkable how most people remember that day so vividly.  I was a 16
year old college freshmen at City College of New York.  I was in a
chemistry lab course when the professor (I even remember his name, Prof.
Brescia; in fact now that I think of it his is the only name I can recall
from my undergraduate years) walked in and stated quite somberly that
President Kennedy had been shot and that all classes were cancelled.
Everyone was reduced to silence and that is my clearest memory - the
silence.  To get home I had to travel on the subway and the bus and on both
people were very quiet - just sitting silently, no conversation.
Once home we all were glued to the TV set. Everyone felt a tremendous sense
of loss.

Rich Teller
IS 116
Bronx, NY