Our district classifies librarians as teachers.  As such, we have the
same working day as a classroom teachers, 1/5 of the day is a prep
period.  Half-time teachers contractacts are adjusted accordingly.  Now
the number of contacts per day is not as clearly defined.  Our district
is not very structures for librarians.  We only have librarians at the
secondary level.  We organize our days the way we see fit.  We don't have
scheduled library times.  We do library skills only when we are
developing research units with a teacher.  None of this isolated learning
tasks.  Our Union has been very supported of librarians, mostly because
we are so heavily involved in their functioning.  Our district has 7
librarians, 4 currently sererve as their schools building
representative.  1 served as the union president, and I served as union
secretary for 8 years.  Our union is very strong and the district really
listens when we go to them.

Good luck.

Eunice A. Heideman, Librarian
Bernardo Heights Middle School
12990 Paseo Lucido
San Diego, CA 92128
FAX: (619) 485-4860   Voice, Work: (619) 485-4850

LM_NET Archive Home