Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
From: cjmacalp@llwcny.ll.pbs.org (Jean Macalpine)
Subject: q
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 20:23:56 GMT

I need to find a solution to a massive overdue problem.  We are a school of
approximately 850 students and 50 staff.  We have an automated circulation
system, and we have probably around 50 overdue books every day.  My policy
has always been that students must return a book to get a book.  (If they
take two books, they must return two to get two more.)  Parents sometimes
complain that their child comes home "in tears" because they were forbidden
to take a book, although they are told they can come to the library the next
day and pick out a book if they bring theirs back.  I cannot see where there
is any deprivation, and I am attempting to teach responsibility, but I am
getting more and more protests from parents, and my principal would like me
to come up with a more forgiving policy.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

LM_NET Archive Home