This message is forwarded from NetHappenings.  Looks like this resource
is made to order for us!

    ===================  Forwarded  Message  ===================
From: spok+@cs.cmu.edu (John Ockerbloom)

I have created a new Web page featuring books available on-line that
have been the objects of censorship, particularly by legal authorities
or by schools.  Find it at

  http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/Web/People/spok/banned-books.html

The on-line exhibit gives short descriptions of the titles, which
range from "Ulysses" to "Little Red Riding Hood".  It also describes
how and why each book was censored or suppressed.  You can then follow
hypertext links from the top-level page to the works themselves, so
that you can see what the censors didn't want people to see.

Pointers to other resources (both on- and off-line) on censorship issues
and on-line literature are given at the bottom of the page.

The exhibit is based at Carnegie Mellon University, where the
administration recently announced the university would censor numerous
newsgroups (including text-based groups) related to sexuality, citing
fears of legal liability as its reason.  The exhibit is particularly
appropriate now, as a reminder of the continuing struggle for free
expression and the increasingly important role of computer-based forms
of expression.

There is undoubtedly more material I can add to the page.  If you know
of additional resources or information I can add (preferably with
references), or you have suggestions, please write to me at
spok@cs.cmu.edu.

John Ockerbloom

ockerbloom@cs.cmu.edu            1603 Beechwood Blvd., Pittsburgh PA 15217
Elliott Parker                 BITNET: 3ZLUFUR@CMUVM
Journalism Dept.               Internet: 3zlufur@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu
Central Michigan University    Compuserve: 70701,520
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 USA     The WELL: eparker@well.sf.ca.us

LM_NET Archive Home