Dear LM_NETer,
For the past 4 years librarians and teacher-librarians in Manitoba have
been running the Manitoba Young Readers' Choice Award Program.  I know
that there are many of you out there who are involved in similar
programs.  I wonder if you could share with us here some of your information
and experience. Each year we select a list of nominees--approximately 15
novels by Canadian writers representing different genres and appropriate
to grade 4 to 8 readers. Any student who reads a minimum of three books
from the list is eligible to vote for his/her favourite novel.  A concern
that has recently arisen is that reading three is not sufficient for a
valid vote.  How does the voting work in your young readers' choice
program?  We also hear criticism that we target too wide a grade
range, and that the list is invariably weighted toward the upper end of
the reading level. Would those of you out there who have experience and
ideas on young readers'choice programs please respond directly to me?
If there is a lot of interest I will try to post a HIT.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Val Nielsen
vnielson@minet.gov.mb.ca

LM_NET Archive Home