Hi folks,

The most effective means of preventing plagiarism involves educating
teachers about what constitutes an effective research topic.

Research papers which are simply "about" a topic lead to copying.

But research papers which ask for conclusions, ask for answers to
interesting questions, ask for comparisons, ask for solutions to problems,
ask for points of view all lead to original writing. These kinds of
assignments also help kids narrow the topic and call for higher level
thinking.

Somebody asks _me_ to write "about" bats, heck, I'll copy that report right
out of Groliers, electronic or print.

But ask me:

        "Why do bats fly at night?"

        "How are bats like or unlike other mammals?"

        "Design an appeal to prevent people from killing bats."

        "Why are people afraid of bats?"

Don't blame kids for not wanting to reinvent a boring wheel. You want some
creativity, you gotta ask for it.

As always, IMHO,

Doug

P.S. Regarding circulation policies:  We should look at all policies and
ask - "for whose benefit is this policy written - the library's or the
patron's?" Hopefully, you are writing policies which benefit the individual
user.

I think if you answer that question honestly, book check-out limits become
unnecessary (unethical?) except for the small percent of chronic abusers
who should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor | The sweat of hard work is not to
Mankato Public Schools, ISD 77          | be displayed.  It is much more
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713         | graceful to appear favored by the
Phone: 507-387-7698                     | gods.       Maxine Hong Kingston
djohns1@west.isd77.k12.mn.us (or)
palsdaj@va1.mankato.msus.edu

LM_NET Archive Home