Obviously it used to be a different answer (Since I used to work with as
many as 1,000 students a week covering three elementary schools with no
automation and only small collections, etc. )  But now I answer the
question," How many
books and magazines can I borrow?"  with "As many as you are strong enough
to carry out."  My "students" are now adults and as anyone knows teachers
are worse than kids at returning books on time (and librarians are the
world's worst).  I send out those little automated overdues about once a
month and I personally have a bunch each time.  I just find mine and most
people find theirs and we go right ahead with life.

Nancy JP Lively
Anne Arundel County Public Schools
Professional Library
2644 Riva Road