I've recently discovered another concern when weighing CD-ROMS vs. print
source.  When talking with one of my students on the debate team, I
noticed she was copying the SIRS paper issues on the copier machine.
When I told her those were available on our network, she said that some
of the Debate tournaments (esp. the Lincoln-Douglas debate tournament)
did not allow computer generated printouts as "proof" of research, and
that unless she had a copy of the article itself it would be discounted
if another student challenged her sources.  This was dismaying on at
least two points--most of our new computer resources were purchased with
the debate team in mind (along with our other students)--"wouldn't the
debate team find this useful?", and we have been considering cutting the
print sources, as the cd-roms are so useful.
        Has anyone else heard of this limitation in debate rules?

Shannon Acedo
Marlborough School
Los Angeles

On Sat, 19 Nov 1994, Lynn McCree wrote:

> I am not very concerned about plagiarism with the use of CD-ROMS.  I am
> simply thrilled that these easy-to-use reference sources have removed
> obstacles that once defeated many of my students.  Now they take their
> neatly printed information to their table, get out their highlighters and
> mark what they think is interesting.  Some give oral reports straight
> from these sheets, but most then rewrite the highlighted sections.  Even I,
> a seasoned researcher, never looked at many 'related articles' in the
> encyclopedia--now they are simply a key away.  I love roms!
>

> Lynn McCree, Librarian
> Martin Junior High
> Austin, Texas
> Lmcc@tenet.edu