>...an internet lurker is a discussion group member who does not
>participate in the discussion

LURKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU!!

     I have always been of the opinion that if you honestly have nothing
to say, it's OK just to listen, learn, take notes, and feel free to use
any information you have gained when you need to use it.

     Until yesterday, I was a "lurker" for 3 months, when I felt the need to
respond to the network concerning something about which I had a strong
feeling.  I stated my opinion, and to tell you the truth, I am no better an
internet participant or educator than I was the day before.  I have
benefited greatly from listening to the network conversations of others, and
using their appropriate suggestions in order to serve my students more
efficiently. In isn't that really an important goal of the LM_NET?
Listening, learning and applying are certainly worthwhile modes of
participation.

     I will admit that "Unlurking Day" might be fine for those users who
want to test out their "reply" functions of their communications package,
or who might feel nervous about talking to so many thousands of people at
one time.  But the term "lurker" implies that not posting a message on
the LM_NET is something bad.  Now if those are the reasons for "Unlurking
Day", than I would suggest that you actually say so.

     And even if the term "lurker" is a common internet label, as
educators, I thought name-calling was just plain bad as a motivator.
I suggest you just state what the purpose of this day is and
call it "Try-A-Reply Day" or "First Posting Day", encouraging members to
get over any fear of posting replies or posting queries, or just to test
out the reply and send functions of their communications package.  These
should be the reasons for our special September 13th activity---not
because posting is a better form of participating than listening,
learning, and using.

   Thanks for listening.  Feel free to respond, IF YOU WANT TO!

                                             Bob

Bob Hallett                                *     Voice:410-887-0719
Educational Media Generalist               *     Fax:410-922-9912
Church Lane Elementary Technology School   *  "I'm just a singer in a
3820 Fernside Rd., Randallstown, MD 21133  *    rock 'n roll band!"

LM_NET Archive Home