A few weeks ago I sent a message to LM_NET requesting information
about Caspr. This was my first request for information from this
list and I am very grateful for your great responses.=20

The responses included what Caspr is, the pros and cons as well
as recommendations for other systems.

Your messages have been forwarded to the elementary school media
generalist who needed this information.

Thank you,
Yvette

Yvette Viger                |    281 Lost Nation Road
MLS-ISDP student            |    Groveton, New Hampshire
Syracuse University         |    03582

from: Shelley Lochhead, Librarian=20

CASPR was originally developed for use at Apple's corporate library in
Cupertino, CA!
It is now sold by several vendors, most notably Highsmith, as
LibraryWorks.

------------
From: STANLEY FUKE

Six of our new elementary schools ordered CASPR last school year and=20
after using it for six months all returned their systems and purchased the=
=20
Alexandria System from Companion Software in Utah.  They are happy with=20
their circulation/cataloging software today.

----------
From: Cheryl Barry Smith

... a nearby school district uses this library automation program. =20
You can send  a general letter to: Librarian, Rockwall, I.S.D.,=20
Rockwall, TX (zip???) and inquire about their opinion of the program. =20
However, DYNIX  or FOLLETT are the two programs with the least grief=20
associated with their use...

----------
From: Neva Katherine Royall

My district requested a site visit from Caspr (no 2nd "a"), and I=20
personally found it to be an excellent automation system. I think it was=20
capable of running dos, windows, or mac hardware, and uses Novell file=20
servers.  The patron side allows searching by boolean operators through=20
Author, call number, title, subject, and keyword searches.  The find=20
screen is displayed in a catalog card format. =20
One of the best features that I found was that they have superb support. =
=20
I was in touch with Mark Plant, voice # 800-852-2777.  Give him a call=20
and he'll fill in all the details....

---------- =20
From: Anita Matson

I do not use CASPR, but in my research on systems I could find no one who=
=20
has seen another system who like CasPr.  Some schools that purchased it=20
have changed to other systems... =20
One thing about Caspr is that it is cheap. =20

----------
From: Jacque Burkhalter

A few years ago I previewed Caspr, and ALMOST bought it. At the last minute=
found another Macintosh system, Alexandria by COMPanion....and, boy, am I=
=8Aglad I did!  Two school districts near me purchased Caspr and had all ki=
nds
of problems with it, while my Alexandria has been performing beyond my
expectations (They are always coming up with new innovations.
Their number is:  1-800-347-6439 for a free demo.

----------
From: Sister Penny Cunningham=20

I have used CASPR's LibraryWorks and LibraryBrowser for two years in a=20
K-8 library serving about 400 students with about 9000 items.  Here are=20
the pros and cons as I see them:

Pro: CASPR listens to its users.  They are aware of features we would=20
like to see and are usually working on them.
     The graphic interface is user-friendly.  On Library-Browser the full=
=20
information about an item is shown as a card catalog card, which helps=20
our students understand that both the card catalog and the OPAC contain=20
the same information and are used for the same purpose.
     A library map showing the location of an item can be shown in=20
LibraryBrowser.  It also has the capacity to attach visual or audio files=
=20
to a record. (I have not used this last feature.)
     CASPR's products fill a gap between the inexpensive programs that=20
are a pure waste of money and the more powerful programs such as Follett's.
     Customer support and upgrades are less expensive than many.

Cons: The reports in LibraryWorks are not very powerful and not at all=20
flexible.
       LibraryBrowser accesses complex subject headings using boolean=20
logic.  This makes a search for UNITED STATES-HISTORY-(date),=20
(period)--Fiction freeze up my computer.
       I have experiences several bugs, some annoying, some downright=20
panic-inducing.  Although customer service personnel are friendly and=20
helpful, bugs drain time and energy.

=20
nifty features that are user-friendly, especially in an elementary school=
=20
setting.  However, if you can afford it, I would suggest a more powerful=20
program such as Follett.

LM_NET Archive Home