Many people do not realize that Mildred Taylor had a lovely book called
Song of the Trees.  It introduces all the characters who later appear in
Rollof Thunder,  Let the Circle be unbroken, etc.  I will never get over
the way I personally react to the memory of that book or of the way
children react to it when it is read aloud.  It is probably on the 4th
grade level and is very short.  It only takes about 1 hour to read.  Read
it yourself about 5 times first so you can get over the impact enough to
read it without crying.  The POWER of that family.  The power especially
of the father and his words .  The lovely lovely trees, on and on. Don't
let yourself miss that book if you plan to have your students work with
Taylor's later books.

Nancy JP Lively
Anne Arundel County Public Schools
Professional Library