Yes, Nancy, some of us have undertaken similar projects.  After taking
over a library in a K-8 Catholic school and working to bring it into the
information age, I am now helping two other similar libraries with their
development.

"Development" is the important word.  If you truly want to help this
library, you need to approach it differently from, "What do we spend our
$2,000 on?"  (Don't worry, I'll give you some practical suggestions in
that department, too.)  Development means working with the principal and
any other decision makers in the school (parent groups, faculty, etc.) to
create a vision of what they would like their library to become, and
creating a long-range plan for realizing that vision.  It will mean
educating any and all of the above groups as to what a school library
(media center...) can be.  It will ultimately mean helping them see the
need for a full time professional librarian, because you are right, you
can't effectively be a librarian for more than one library, in spite of
what some school districts think.  That is what I would offer the school
in the long run.  It sounds as if you have a good beginning of parent
support, which helps.

As for collection development, $2000 will only be a start.  For long
range planning, I would suggest reading the spring 1985 issue of Drexel
Library Quarterly which has some excellent methods by David Loertscher
and May Lein Ho.  This information is also available in a book published
by Libraries Unlimited.  I am not sure of the title.  This method of
collection development produces much better results than any list.

In the short term, to spend your $2000, I would go to the group of people
who will be very influential in how the collection is used--the faculty.
Ask them to decide which topic or curriculum area they would most like to
have materials available in the library.  You might divide them into age
groups and ask for one from each.  In a school without a professional
librarian, materials bought because of your preference or a parent's
preference may never be used, but those bought because of the teachers'
interest will be used.

Good luck.  I hope these ideas help.

Sister Penny Cunningham  pscunnin@mailbox,syr.edu
St. Mary-Basha Catholic School