I guess I just don't get it.  What's the big deal about weeding?  I am a
new librarian, only three years in the profession.  I've weeded around a
thousand books per year in the elementary school where I am employed.  At
first I had some complaints, but then, when the staff and students
noticed all the  beautiful new books with great formats and pleasant
odors, the complaining stopped.  I have patiently explained that budget
for new books is directly connected to the number of dirty, old, worn out
books that I "weed."   The school is 27 years old.  I weeded book number
47 my first year.  I don't weed just to get new books, but even last week
I discarded a book that hadn't been checked out in 15 years.  Since we
are renovating and all books must be boxed, I feel it is high time to
"clean house."  Books are not sacred unto themselves; their value is in
the delight and knowledge that can be gleaned from them...

Just some thoughts on a dark and stormy night in North Texas.

        Sandy Williams <sandywil@tenet.edu>
        Memorial Elementary School
        2600 Ave. R
        Plano, TX 75074