Wanted to keep you up-to-date and Cincinnati.  School started today and the
headlines in the Cincinnati Enquirer were:
                "School opens;  libraries don't"
The only secondary school with a librarian will be Walnut Hills High School
(my former school, and where I plan to return after my year with staff
development)  The parents and alumni have raised the money to pay for one
librarian and one aide.  This school is college prep., grade 7-12 with
2200 students.  But at least they have some personnel.
Some of the libraries will be locked to preserve the collections, but others
will be staffed by volunteers or teachers.  The Superintendent left the
decision to each individual school.  The Teacher's Union has issued a statement
that no one is to be assigned to "duties" or positions to which they are not
certified.  We have been having discussions with United Way, they want to
recruit volunteers, after all, any one off the street can run a library.
I have advised administrators to close the libraries or risk having everything
missing (stolen, borrowed) from their libraries and no funds to replace them.
The  tax levy is scheduled for Nov., we are pushing to get a commitment from
the Bd. of Ed. that money will be used to reinstate librarians.
I will keep you informed.
Darlene Basone  Mayerson Academy   Cincinnati, OH
Basoneds@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

LM_NET Archive Home