In a recent article in the Chicago Tribune, references were made to an
article in Vanity Fair where Demi Moore is going to portray Hester Pryne
and she's changing the ending to a happy one.  She justifies her decision
for the ending 'because no one reads the book anymore anyway' (or words to
that effect.

My first question is: Is _The Scarlet Letter_ read in your school and how?
Is it part of the curriculum or suggested reading list or individual
student choice?

The second question is:  Approx. how many students read it annually?

One of the English teacher in our school is curious.  Perhaps I'll pass the
response on to Ms. Moore if it's significant.

Thanks.

Andy Fowler                         PHONE: (708) 529-4500  X382
Resource Center -- West Campus
Lake Park High School               a-fowler@dupagels.lib.il.us
Roselle IL 60172

LM_NET Archive Home