Jane, I know I'm not the only person who is seriously concerned about
Curriculum Enhanced MARC.  Yes, it's a great idea.  But who is going to
do all that work?  In Texas, for example, they revise the state
objectives in the subject areas every few years.  Does that mean that
each library collection will have to be re-catalogued (at least
partially) every time the central educational agency gets a wild hare to
re-organize the curriculum?  And what about the MARC records coming from
LC?  Will they have curriculum correlations from all 50 states included?
how will we store all that information?  I can imagine my disk space
requirements will double (a conservative estimate based on the size of my
current MARC records and the information you describe.)  Quite frankly, I
don't think this idea is soup yet.

Carol Mann Simpson                   csimpson@tenet.edu
Facilitator - Library Technology          214 882-7450
Mesquite (TX) Independent School District

LM_NET Archive Home