several important elements about the CEMARC format: e.g., 520, reviews
(and I see teachers submitting their comments about the use of learning
materials,for inclusion in the notes field); 521, grade, interest and
motivation level (audience) of the material, as well as special audience
characteristics (hearing impaired, gifted,etc.); and curriculum objectives.
Most of these elements will NOT need to be changed once entered,
although they might be added to (additionally enhanced).  While it is true
that curriculum objectives at a state level may change, so do traditional
subject headings.  The catalog, card as well as electronic, needs regular
maintenance and updating.  In the electronic age, it is also possible that
curriculum objectives might be globally changed.  Further, the curriculum
objectives may be national, state and/or local...the field is repeatable and
there is opportunity for vendors to enter elements as well as members of
state database systems (like Texas), and also for local school districts,
e.g.,Plano, TX, develops units with overarching interdisciplinary themes
and these can be linked to specific materials.  I see CEMARC as the era
beyond standards...school library databases have worked to adhere to
mainstream standards and are ready for the enhancement stage to truly
link library resources to learning units, interests and environments (and
these go beyond schools to homes, museums, etc.)

There ARE challenges and one of them is to develop national curriculum
terms for different subject areas.  I am doing research in this field and am
interested in hearing from anyone who has suggestions.    I also
attended the CEMARC Institute in OH last weekend.  Roger Miniere of the
NWOET Foundation has been a pioneer in developing a statewide
database of CEMARC records that adhere to minimum standards as well
as providing particular curriculum enhancements.  He will be putting this
out on the Internet soon, with input from Institute participants and others.
You will be able to view these records and learn more about developing
curriculum enhancements.  I expect that workshops will also be given
around the country...I know that several of us are planning some here in
Texas.

Catherine Murphy
Assistant Professor
School of Library & Info. Sciences