        The Doomsday clock was a device to make people aware of the
reality and closeness of nuclear war during the Cold War.  It was set at
one minute to midnight for many years unitl the fall of the Soviet
Union.  It was really a brilliant piece of propaganda (remembering that
propaganda is not always bad) in that it was a good visual for people of
the TV age to comprehend how close we really were to a nuclear disaster.
Being of the time where fallout shelters were built in basements and
backyards, I can vividly remember the fear that that clock instilled in me.

                James Mong

Riverview Middle School-- Huntington, IN 46750
jmong@neptune.esc.k12.in.us

  "The man with a new idea is a Crank until the idea succeeds." -- Mark Twain