Thanks to all who wrote. Many reports of problems with the computer itself,
as well as the software involved: Netscape (generally a memory hog, many
suggested using it exclusive of any other program to avoid problems),
RamDoubler and SpeedDoubler (more below), and PageMill (which may have a
conflict similar to Photoshop, someone suggested).

After an evening looking for technical support from the various companies'
web sites, here's what I've found (as many of you recommended):

1. According to Apple technical notes the Error type 11 results primarily
from non-native software. There were also problems detected in 5200 series
computers

XB514xxxxxxx -XB529xxxxxxxx
SO514xxxxxxx-SO529xxxxxxxxxx
SG523xxxxxx-SG527xxxxxxx

this problem was identified in September, and the Apple technical note
indicates it probably effected about 500 computers worldwide and it sounds
like they've tried to locate the problem.

Several people suggested a new system 7.5 update should be coming, but I
found no notice of that.

2. On the Connectix site (http://www.connectix.com/) there are updates for
both RAMDoubler and SpeedDoubler. Thanks to severalepe for the tip.

3. A visit to the Adobe site turned up nothing in the way of an update to
PageMill (no surprise, I guess since it's brand new).

My pro-Windows web crew enjoyed needling me to no end all day!

+   Peter Butts              +  "One man gathers what       +
+   East Middle School       +   another man spills..."     +
+   Holland, MI 49423        + pbutts@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu  +