I am a parent asking for some advice in determining whether my daughter who
will be six in May should be placed in the first grade or a transition class
next year.  Although it is only December, her teachers have already
expressed their opinion that a transition class would be good for her.  I am
concerned only in that she is a bright child, who knows her letters,
numbers, appears at home to concentrate for long periods of time on story
tapes that are at the second and third grade level, but is also a very
willful and stubborn child which gets in her way.  I am not sure that a
transition class will make a difference as I do not think her personality is
going to radically change.  Coupled with this is she is petite, the youngest
in our family, so she is clinging to me more so than my other child.  She
has stated that she does not want to grow up.  I could use any advice that
will help my husband  and I look at the situation objectively. What should
we be looking for?  Obviously, I don't want to push her before she is ready,
but I also don't want to deny her the opportunity to go to the first grade
where she wants to go if the experience won't be too stressful for her.  Is
there research to support that certain children to better than others if
they go into transition?  I am really perplexed by my differing perceptions
with the teachers that my child's issues are about personality and not
developmental.

Thank you

Emily Carton
ecarton@clark.net