It's time to remind administrators about the value of print AND
electronically stored information.  If I had 12,000 books in my library
(and I could fit 12,000 people in it) I could theoretically be serving
12,000 people simultaneously.  In other words, I have 12,000 access
points.  I have 14 computers, 9 of which are networked.  If I had NO
print material, I could only serve 14 people at a time.  I would have
only 14 access points.  This assumes that all valuable information is
stored electronically and that no one needs to read for pleasure anymore
and that knowledge of literature is no longer important nor necessary to
get into college.

We need to look at the public and university libraries for examples.  How
many public libraries have converted solely to electronic data?  How many
university libraries have?  Paul Allen, a Microsoft cofounder, donated
funds to the University of Washington for its newest library, named after
his father, a librarian.  This speaks volumes - pun intended.

Sue Weiss
Ballard HS Librarian
Seattle, WA
(206) 281-6010
sweiss@cks.ssd.k12.wa.us

On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, Mary Beckelhimer wrote:

> I'm posting this for a fellow librarian who doesn't have e-mail.  Please send
>replies to
> me at the address below.
>
> My principal has approached me about doing away with the library and having a
> technology center instead.  I am in a small (260 student) 9-12 building that is
>old.
> No funds can be spent to upgrade the building so the lab  must be in an existing
> room  (i.e. the library).  He would like to spend about $50,000 for 20
>workstations
> and the appropiate software and CDs.  I would like any help from others who have
> been in similiar situations.  Does anyone have an opinion about print vs
> CD format for magazines, reference books, etc. when you can only have one.
> If CD format is preferred, do you have CD-ROM drives in individual machines or
> have a CD server?  Thanks for your help.
> Malinda Tennant
> Buffalo-Putnam H.S.
> Buffalo, WV

> Name: Mary Beckelhimer