        Yesterday I commented on use of the word technology. Today I feel
compelled to do so again. Any attempt to phrase problems as "Technology vs
print" miss the mark. Print and books are a "technology". The question is
"Will a new technology replace an older technology?" All too frequently we
see computers, electronic media, etc. as technology but fail to see books
as technology.
        The technology of electronic media is in stage equal to a Model T.
In five years it will not resemble today's form. Granted there is not a
means to read electronic media that rivals a book or newspaper. I do not
read from my laptop in bed. But the situation will change soon. Four or
Five major electronic companies both in the  US and Japan are racing to
develop such a product.
       The last point is the continuing theme that electronic media will
destroy children's interest in reading. Again this misses the real problem.
The reason fewer children read has teaching is not related to new
technologies or electronic media. Rather readers are generally learners.
Children who find learing exciting and become life long learns read! Our
job as educators is to see that children become learners.

Bill Wallace
Cybrarian
Manzano Day School
Albuquerque, NM