Hi LM_NETters,

I would like to support Bill's point, a copy of wich appears below:

"The last point is the continuing theme that electronic media will
destroy children's interest in reading. Again this misses the real problem.
The reason fewer children read has teaching is not related to new
technologies or electronic media. Rather readers are generally learners.
Children who find learing exciting and become life long learns read! Our
job as educators is to see that children become learners."

Bill Wallace, LM_NET 14 Dec 1995

I have been sitting reading my computer screen for 2 hours now, non-stop.
I am reading LM_NET mail. During this time I have considered approximately
15 different issues, developed my thoughts and opinions on these, responded
in writing to several, met some new people and enjoyed some humour.  I have
melded my reading and writing skills. I have read with interest and writtem
with purpose.  I can't wait to get the students working like this next
year.  It is active learning.

Electronic media does not desroy interest in reading, it creates it.  It
gives a purpose to the reading.  The reading becomes interactive.  I'm with
Bill - electronic media enhances reading.  It is rather like R.L. Stine -
it will encourage the reluctant readers to read!

Chris XYZ

 Chris Skrzeczynski, Teacher-librarian  <cxyz@gil.com.au>
Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School
1 Kenmore Road Kenmore, Qld 4069
Australia  Ph: (07)33782412    Fax: (07)38783160

Chris Skrzeczynski, Teacher-librarian  <cxyz@gil.com.au>
Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School
1 Kenmore Road Kenmore, Qld 4069
Australia  Ph: (07)33782412    Fax: (07)38783160

LM_NET Archive Home