        We have recently rebuilt the harddrive of one of the computers in
our library.  This computer is attached to a CD-ROM 6 disk changer, and
the computer is also connected to our network.

Our Problem:
        To successfully use the CD-ROM, the environment variable
LASTDRIVE in the config.sys file must be at least as high as the last
drive letter on the CD-ROM (normally I:).  The default network drive is
drive F:.  To successfully use the network, the LASTDRIVE variable must
be E: or less.  We have set up the computer to execute the CD-ROM drivers
or the network drivers depending on the menu item chosen.  Through all of
this, the LASTDRIVE variable stays the same.

Our Question:
        Is there a way to change the LASTDRIVE variable "on the fly"
without rebooting the computer?

Donna Shrum
Florida State University School (K-12)
FSU 3025