Dear L_MNETters,
        I was going to let this one pass, but the elementary computer
teacher said I should explain our viewpoint on Mac security. We do not
believe in At Ease : "There's not been a horse that's never been rode,
and not a  rider that's never been throwed." We feel that locking just
invites wasting time by students trying to bypass these feeble
applications. (setting up a teacher's 630 today, it took me less time to
eradicate all the At Ease and Launcher pieces than to find her on campus
and ask for the password) We have 40+ networked Macs in the CDS
Secondary, Elementary and Multi Media Centers which have been accessible
to students for more than 2 years. The first year was hell; but we
quietly restored software from the servers as fast as possible. This year
it looks as if the kids have tired of the vandalism, for the past several
weeks the reload time has been near zero. I don't know, maybe I am naive,
or  maybe the Costa Rican air has something to do with it: the folders
don't even get the four letter words anymore.
Paul Shepard
Country Day School
Escazu, Costa Rica
codasch@sol.racsa.co.cr