On Fri, 24 Feb 1995, Cletus Schirra wrote:

> email I'm not sure which, I have always been told that email is NOT
> private and treat your postings as if you do not care who reads them.
> That is because they are NOT secure.  If someone states in a post that it
> is intended for you only or that it is not to be distributed for general
> knowledge that is one situation.  We would be better served if we post to
> the list only fact and opinions that we would want the entire free and

What you say is very true.  I've always heard "don't put anything in
writing that you wouldn't want read in court."  My original post was
referring to the fact that what is put down in writing may be considered
copyrighted by the writer.  I guess I was approaching it from the
position of the reader, and you approached it from the position of the
WRITER.  Nevertheless, one shouldn't reprint e-mail messages unless the
writer understands that THIS PARTICULAR MESSAGE is going to be
reprinted.  Get it in writing.  Then no one will be surprised when those
words reappear somewhere.

LM_NET Archive Home