I have been following the messages concerning the use of BC/AD and
BCE/CE. It seems to me that we need to look at the history of our calendar.

Most people in the Western World use the Gregorian calendar, worked out
during Pope Gregory XIII reign in the 1580s.  Therefore, we use a
Christian calendar.  There are other calendars you may use if you feel
that this one is inappropriate.

The Hebrew calendar gives this year as 5755.  However, it would be
difficult to date anything before that since year 0 is creation.

The Islamic calendar begins with Mohammad's flight from Mecca to Medina
in AD 622 (1373).  Their year is much shorter than the solar calendar
with only 364 days.

The Chinese calendar begins with BC 2637 (4632). The Chinese year is
based on the moon and generally consists of 12 months (but not always).
Each Month begins at the new moon and has 29 or 30 days.

Our society is made up of contributions from many cultures. We should
acknowledge them.  One of the contributions that Christians gave us is
the calendar we use. It is fitting, therfore, to use their nomenclature
for their calendar.  Anything eles is taking political correctness to
excessive lengths.

Gary
kga@umd5.umd.edu, Baltimore, Maryland

LM_NET Archive Home