My principal really came through for me before Christmas.  I proposed a
CLEAN SWEEP Week before Christmas vacation to get all overdues back into
the library, all lost books paid for, and especially get teachers to
return all books not currently being used for units of study.  (Almost
all lost books at the end of the year are actually lost the first
semester of school.)   Notes were sent to teachers, a note published in
the school newsletter to parents asking for their help also.

Teachers with 100% returns, both in teacher collections and students'
overdues were given 1/2 day off Friday Dec. 16th (a required teacher
workday with no students at school)

37 of 42 teachers left at 11:00;  all but 3 books were returned or paid for.
And yes, teachers and students who supported CLEAN SWEEP Week checked out
books for the holidays and for curriculum units in January.  How will we
ever top this?

Virginia Gordey
Brentwood Elementary
Austin, TX
vgordey@tenet.edu
 On Fri, 13 Jan 1995, Global SchoolNet Fdn (FrEdMail) wrote:

> We are a group of librarian who have a mutual problem - overdues.  We would
> like some input as to methods of penalizing students for not returning
> books.  We know the illegal ways; withholding report cards, withholding bus
> passes, even charging for overdue days.  Some of us withhold diplomas, but
> then the student has to be in the school in his/her senior year.
> Does anyone have another method to help us get these books back?   Cheryl -
> in New York City.

LM_NET Archive Home