I wish to clarify remarks that I made concerning censorship and the
importance of selection/reconsideration policies. I was not being
unsupportive; I was not demonstrating that I am not in touch with the
real world; I was identifying a significant issue in our profession. Most
censorhsip problems occur without satisfactory resolution where there is
no policy in place. That there is a policy and that it is ignored is a
more serious allegation against a superintendent ignoring Board directive
or a Board ignoring its own policies, which is even more unusual. As a
school board president I am well aware of the special interest groups
seeking to control access to information and ideas: Board-approved
policies outlining criteria, procedures and reconsideration methods is
still the strongest, if not impermeable, defence.

Ken Haycock

LM_NET Archive Home