I opened a new school 6 years ago and came from a school where were had
been automated for about 10 years.  The first thing I did when we were
fully auotmated was ignore the shelf list and after a couple of years
seeing that I didn't need it, I got rid of it.  My new school never had
one set up.  We have even gove so far as to do away with the paper card
catalog.  We have six student search stations and they handle our load
quite adequately (1700 students).  Even when our system is down, the kids
wouldn't go to the card catalog, they would ask the staff where can I find...

Eunice A. Heideman, Librarian
Bernardo Heights Middle School
12990 Paseo Lucido
San Diego, CA 92128
FAX: (619) 485-4860   Voice, Work: (619) 485-4850

LM_NET Archive Home