I am k-5 city elementary school librarian. Our library is open on Thurs.
evenings for parent and student use. Parent volunteers staff it. I was
apprehensive at first,but it has worked out well. I trained the
volunteers on my preparation period last year and out of the 6 I trained,
2 stayed on and rotate the job. I feel that there is a big push in city
neighborhoods to  show that it is safe and a good place for kids-our gym
is also used by evening basketball type groups. The parent volunteers
just leave the cards on my desk-we aren't automated. They straighten
shelves when they have few clients.Since our library has NO open periods
for research etc. this is a good time to do it also parent/child work
together on resesarch etc.Of course, the one volunteer IS a librarian!
(guess that's the key!)

LM_NET Archive Home