I've gotten so many good suggestions from the folks on this list that I'm
going to ask for help once again.

The question is, how soon do you let kindergarteners take books home?  I
typically let them start taking a book to their classroom by the 2nd or 3rd
week of school, but not home until close to the middle of the year so that
the nature of borrowing is clearly established.  I will be discussing this
policy with two teachers who think I am being too stingy with the books
(neither of whom will be happy if the book *they* want disappears...)  so I'd
like an idea of what other librarians do.

The other question I have is whether you limit the number of books students
can have at any one time, and how long your loan period is.

I feel pretty flexible about these issues, but I also can't afford to lose
too many books each year either, and I don't want to limit which books the
children can borrow either - I want them to learn to make good choices for
themselves, enjoy the book, and then return it within a reasonable length of
time in reasonable condition.  I will be happy to hear what you think about
this.  Please respond directly to me, and I will post a hit if there is
enough interest.

Thanks in advance - I know this is going to be interesting!
Beth McCheyne
South Seneca Elementary
Dunrobins@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home