Although it's almost summer and I've been enjoying all the
suggestions for reading during our break, we've been giving
some thought to orientation in the fall!  Since we want to have
students come to the library ASAP, we were wondering if there
are some fresh approaches to orienting students to the
library/media center, especially regarding the OLCs.
This year, we gave students a quick introduction to the
location of materials and encouraged them to take out a book -
we were trying to establish a friendly and non-threatening
intro. Problem -many didn't know how to use an OLC and almost
none knew what a keyword search is.
Do any of you out there in LM_NET Land have successful
experience with a productive orientation?  Of course , we would
like to teach use of the OLC in context, but that's hard to
do.  I apologize in advance for raising the spectre of Fall,
but would appreciate any comments or suggestions, and will post
a hit or reply to individuals if there is interest.

--
Polly Conlon                703-631-5550/1
Ormond Stone M.S.           703-631-5598(fax)

LM_NET Archive Home