The June issue of From Now On is now available for free from the following
site:
http://www.pacificrim.net/~mckenzie

or e-mail a request for a copy:
mckenzie@pacificrim.net

Jamie McKenzie
Editor

Opening excerpt:

Protecting Children From the Internet
(and the World)

Schools are caught up in a very important debate right now.  Just how much
and what kinds of access should students have to the richly varied and
sometimes offensive or frightening resources available to those who drive
onto the Electronic Highway?  At the heart of this matter is the question
any responsible educator or parent must ask . . .  How can we best protect
our children from information and experiences which are potentially
damaging while simultaneously protecting individual and family rights to
access?

As we consider these questions, we must also ask to what extent the risks
we identify with the Internet are truly related to the new technology or
are risks more generally associated with being alive.  Some of the
strategies we have used with great success to teach children about risks in
daily life work well with the risks associated with the Internet.

LM_NET Archive Home