My principal recently asked me to join a committee to meet
with members of the school board who believe that sutdents should
be tested on books from the summer reading list.  They feel that
this would mandate reading for pleasure.  Students currently use
these books for monthly book reports.
I am pulling together some ideas of other ways to encourage summer
reading instead of more tests!  The presentation to the school board
is on May 11.
If anyone has any suggestions of alternatives to testing, please
send me your ideas.
Also, I'm researching books with a mutual respect theme for the
ninth grade reading list.  Promoting mutual respect is one or
our school goals.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sandie Liacouras
Strath Haven High School (9-12)
strschlib@hslc.org